Wednesday, April 22, 2015

What to Do If You Have Doubts About Your Wedding Dress






Wedding-dress-doubts-


When I went wedding dress shopping, I bought the third one I tried on without giving it too much thought. In retrospect I probably shouldn’t have been quite so nonchalant about the decision, because as I stood before the mirror at my first fitting I thought, “Huh. I’m not sure if I love this...” It’s a beautiful dress, but I suddenly wasn’t sure it was right for me. I’m happy to say that I’m back to loving my wedding dress, but those moments of hesitation felt crummy. Here are some tips for dealing with doubts about your wedding gown, from a bride who has been there:

Make sure you’re not just being indecisive. As any bride knows, there are just SO. many. dress options out there. With an endless variety of fabrics and silhouettes and necklines and shades of white, it can be tough to narrow it down. If you were town between two equally lovely styles, it’s natural to second guess your choice a little bit. But don’t let that indecisive bride brain play tricks on you! Trust that initial instinct that told you to say yes to your dress.

Consider the possibility that you might be overthinking it. I kind of threw dagger eyes at friends who suggested this to me, but hear me out. You are your worst critic. Chances are you are nitpicking at things that no one else would notice in a million years. I know I was. Find that happy place between indifference and over-analysis.

Don’t underestimate the power of alterations. Good tailoring can absolutely bring your gown to a whole new level of gorgeous. You are much more likely to feel beautiful and comfortable in a dress that’s been fine tuned specifically for your body. Adjusting the straps, tweaking the waist, or modifying the neckline will make a world of difference.

...Or embellishments. Maybe your gown is just in need of a personal touch. Try glamming it up with a crystal belt, sweetening it with a satin sash, or adding a hint of whimsy with a floral applique.



Don’t let the dressing room lights fool you. Fluorescent dressing room lighting is not a great look on anyone. It’s harsh and yellow and adept at magnifying even the teeny-tiniest of flaws. If you’re not thrilled with your gown, it might help to quite literally look at it in a more flattering light. It will look much better out in the wild.

Find a reception dress you love. Changing into a little white dress for the reception has become an increasingly popular bridal trend. Consider wearing the gown for the ceremony and then switching up your look for dinner and dancing.

Remember the big picture. It’s cliche because it’s true: in the end, all that really matters is you’re marrying the person you love. And trust us—your fiance is going to be blown away by how gorgeous you are when you walk down that aisle!

Photo Courtesy of Kirstie Kelly

0 comments:

Post a Comment